From the very outset of its existence the Bolshoi Theater was in the center of Moscow cultural life. The State Academic Bolshoi Theater is one of the oldest in the capital of Russia. It was constructed at the beginning of the 19th century and officially opened in 1825. According to the opinions of the contemporaries, the theater was the best in Europe. The troupe of actors that was invited to perform on the stage of the theater formed earlier, in 1776, and that year is recognized as the year of the theater s foundation.
The stage of the Bolshoi Theater witnessed such premiers as Life for the Tsar by Glinka and ballet performances Sylphide, Giselle, Esmeralda and some others. In 1856 the grandeur building burnt down, but it took only 16 months to put up the new impressive theater. The five-circled hall of the Bolshoi Theater is famous for its perfect acoustics and can seat up to 2,150 spectators. The hall is decorated with gilded moldings and red velvet, which imparts to it special splendor and solemnity.